ATC Heat output problem by carlpenn

carlpenn
The other day it was (very) cold, so I popped my Heater on to "Hi" on both the passenger and driver control. The thing is, I noticed that it didnt feel very hot in the car. So I put my hand over the vents to check each one for heat output. The Drivers side was ok, however the passenger side was noticably cooler. barely warm. Is it possible there is (yet another) airlock in the heater or cooling system? I had the heater on recirculate and the fresh air vent was closed, so it wasn't coming from outside, though I tried all available settings on teh heater to check and it was teh same.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 21 Nov 2010, 16:47 #1 

MrB
It is quite common for the heater matrix to block up and this is usually on the passenger side.

Mine is exactly the same. I need to get the matrix out and give it a flush to see if it sorts mine.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 21 Nov 2010, 16:57 #2 

Duncan
My V6 got like that. Removed and cleaned the matrix and it's toasty now.

Took a bit of tapping and flushing, but not a hard job while the system was drained. Probably not difficult even withou draining the whole system.

Posted 21 Nov 2010, 19:46 #3 

Bernard
This week I've helped to clear the matrix on my mate's late ZT190.
Unlike my 75, it had no connectors on the horizontal sections of the pipes.
We had to cut the pipes and rejoin using short lengths of heater hose and jubilee clips.

I thought that the stupid connectors on mine were bad enough but having to cut'n'shut the pipes was a lot worse.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Nov 2010, 23:16 #4 

cymrudragon
carlpenn wrote:The other day it was (very) cold, so I popped my Heater on to "Hi" on both the passenger and driver control. The thing is, I noticed that it didnt feel very hot in the car. So I put my hand over the vents to check each one for heat output. The Drivers side was ok, however the passenger side was noticably cooler. barely warm. Is it possible there is (yet another) airlock in the heater or cooling system? I had the heater on recirculate and the fresh air vent was closed, so it wasn't coming from outside, though I tried all available settings on teh heater to check and it was teh same.

If its was a airlock it will overheat and all heaters are cold ar they will go cold indicating airlock , if warm /cold on one side then its a blocked matrix which has to be removed and cleaned but flush the cooling system first to get rid of any bits in the system.....test the matrix with boiling water and feel for a cold spot on the matrix which will indercate a blockage...when removed ....you can use any de-scaler for cleaning the matrix out

Posted 22 Nov 2010, 19:29 #5 

Duncan
The blocake will be on the side away from the pipes, if it's the usual.

I would have thought boiling water was a bit hot as you want to feel around the matrix. Good hot tap water is fine for showing you the problem. At least it worked for me.

One thing Carl, if you still have the same car (COA), it will have the ready split pipes, not like on the later cars.

Posted 22 Nov 2010, 20:40 #6 

carlpenn
Thanks all for the responses :)

It is indeed still COA Duncan. :)

I have had a mooch through my Haynes manual and have a good idea of what I am doing, so the next decent day I get when the car is not needed, I shall have a go.

Haynes recommend replacing the O - Rings on the Pipes, is this necessary? Not a problem, but I will need order before starting teh work.

Carl.
Upgrades:

Posted 25 Nov 2010, 19:13 #7 

Duncan
Didn't replace mine, but it is probably a good idea. As a rule I do, but didn't think about these when I did them.

Posted 25 Nov 2010, 19:16 #8 

carlpenn
Duncan wrote:Didn't replace mine, but it is probably a good idea. As a rule I do, but didn't think about these when I did them.

Cheers Duncan, will call Rimmers tomorrow :)
Upgrades:

Posted 25 Nov 2010, 19:25 #9 

cymrudragon
Jack frost is about so dont forget 50/50 anti-freeze.....oats vauaxhall dealers do it around £12 colour red....good stuff if you didnt aready know mate

Posted 25 Nov 2010, 19:38 #10 

carlpenn
cymrudragon wrote:Jack frost is about so dont forget 50/50 anti-freeze.....oats vauaxhall dealers do it around £12 colour red....good stuff if you didnt aready know mate

Thank you, Yes, I have had red OATs Anti Freeze in for a while now, after having my Thermostat replaced some time ago. As for Jack Frost, I think he is gonna be around lots this year, might even be bringing sammy snow with him too for most of us.
Upgrades:

Posted 28 Nov 2010, 21:05 #11