Argh!! Squeaky clutch pedal by MrB

MrB
Had an awful squeaky clutch pedal since the drive back from Clumber Park on Sunday.

Figured I would take a look at it this evening.

Sure enough the master cylinder was dry as a bone. :hissyfit:

Why did I buy this particular 75 again........ oh yes that's right, seller said had just had a complete new clutch fitted including both cylinders and a full 12 months MOT.

Have had my suspicions for a while, guess he just fitted a new Master Cylinder and nothing else. At least it's an LUK Master Cylinder.

So that'll be another £300 I need to spend on it then. :panic:

I have removed the large rubber insert and fitted a rubber seal under the lid so as I can more fluid into the pot. Should I cover the hole in the lid with a little tape also or leave it open??
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 20:28 #1 

Rammie
Oh dear, sorry to hear about your MC.

I do believe I read somewhere that you should not cover the hole in the lid and that you should always replace the rubber insert, but could be wrong.

Has it leaked onto the carpet inside the car?
Brian

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 21:46 #2 

MrB
Rammie wrote:Oh dear, sorry to hear about your MC.

I do believe I read somewhere that you should not cover the hole in the lid and that you should always replace the rubber insert, but could be wrong.

Has it leaked onto the carpet inside the car?

No fluid inside the car and the MC is definitely new.

Have thought for some time that the Slave is leaking.

When I bought it the biting point was low, but was told new clutch just fitted. So I thought the biting would rise with miles, it hasn't.

I have bled the clutch twice, there was a little air in there on both occasions.

So looks like the new MC has caused the slave to fail (giving the seller the benefit of the doubt that the it hadn't already failed when I bought it)
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 21:56 #3 

Rammie
Hi Chris,
I know with mine I had the Slave replaced and then about 2 months later the Master went :hissyfit:
I think it's a false economy to just replace one. In my opinion they should always be done together as I found out to my cost.
Brian

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 22:00 #4 

MrB
Rammie wrote:Hi Chris,
I know with mine I had the Slave replaced and then about 2 months later the Master went :hissyfit:
I think it's a false economy to just replace one. In my opinion they should always be done together as I found out to my cost.

MC is cheaper to replace than the Slave so I guess that is what he did, hoping it would cure it.

Andy Willi will do it for £135 plus parts, have managed to find LUK slave for £44.27 plus VAT, lots of choices for clutch kit.

Does the Freelander clutch kit also fit? They are also cheaper than MG/Rover.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 22:21 #5 

Rammie
You may find that the plate is ok and that it's just the SC leaking, as long as it's not leaked on the plate.
Again, I'm pretty sure that a Freelander SC won't fit. The Freelander MC will, with a judicial amount of bending but I can't find the bloody thread about it, sorry.
I remember it being on the "other side"

:cheers:
Brian

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 22:28 #6 

MrB
Rammie wrote:You may find that the plate is ok and that it's just the SC leaking, as long as it's not leaked on the plate.
Again, I'm pretty sure that a Freelander SC won't fit. The Freelander MC will, with a judicial amount of bending but I can't find the bloody thread about it, sorry.
I remember it being on the "other side"

:cheers:

Had read the opposite, Freelander slave fits with no mods but the MC is totally different??? They certainly look exactly the same in pics apart from the Freelander SC being metal instead of plastic and doesn't fail.

Will investigate further.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 22:34 #7 

Rammie
Brian

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 22:36 #8 

MrB

Knew I had read that the Freelander TD4 Slave was a fit, had never considered a 1.8, afterall it is the same engine. So nice metal Freelander TD4 slave it will be then.

I figure that, seen as the main expense in changing a clutch is the labour for taking the box off etc, it just makes sense to stick a new clutch kit in with the new slave, even though mine seems fine.

This way my 75 clutch should be good for 3 years, 40k to 45k miles, at least.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 11:23 #9 

johnwh74
MrB wrote:
Rammie wrote:
Andy Willi will do it for £135 plus parts, have managed to find LUK slave for £44.27 plus VAT, lots of choices for clutch kit.

Andy Willi did my car 2500 miles ago and he did a fantastic job at a fantastic price. Cant recommend the guy enough :hail:

JOhn
Nottingham Forest Forever

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 19:54 #10 

MrB
Has done some work on mine before too John

As you say, can't fault the guy.

Andy says he's close to getting a good deal on good quality clutch kits at a good price, so I'm just waiting for his confirmation.

Can't wait to be able to change gear properly.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 20:03 #11 

geesmith
Where exactly can this clutch pedal be found?....... lol

Posted 15 Sep 2010, 22:16 #12 

MrB
geesmith wrote:Where exactly can this clutch pedal be found?....... lol

On cars that do 0-60MPH faster, and using less diesel than, those that don't have it..... :lol:
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 16 Sep 2010, 14:19 #13 

geesmith
MrB wrote:

On cars that do 0-60MPH faster, and using less diesel than, those that don't have it..... :lol:

Ha har! Swatted me loik a fly.... :lol:

Posted 17 Sep 2010, 10:56 #14 

MrB
geesmith wrote:
MrB wrote:

Glad it was taken in the spirit it was written... :D
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 17 Sep 2010, 11:28 #15 

geesmith
MrB wrote:
geesmith wrote:
MrB wrote:

Glad it was taken in the spirit it was written... :D

Glad you took my jest in the spirit it was intended too Chris... I was however sorry to hear you had another problem. There will come a day when you have the newest car in the community. ;)

Now why did we buy them?....oh yes, because they're gorgeous!

Posted 17 Sep 2010, 22:29 #16 

MrB
geesmith wrote:Glad you took my jest in the spirit it was intended too Chris... I was however sorry to hear you had another problem. There will come a day when you have the newest car in the community. ;)

Now why did we buy them?....oh yes, because they're gorgeous!

It's a good job my wife loves 'em.

There is no way she would let me keep spending the money or time on any other car.

I am hoping for the day I can take it for a drive and not worry about what that noise was I just heard...... :panic:
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 08:42 #17 

geesmith
Most noises can be fixed with a large amp and subwoofer....... :o

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 11:40 #18