Are they taking the pizza? by raistlin

raistlin
Cryogenically frozen brake disks.

Apparently this process gives a five-fold increase in the life of the disks amongst other desirable properties.

REALLY?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 May 2015, 18:21 #1 

Duncan
Mmm. I suspect they also coat them in snake oil before sale, which means they last longer still, although at the expense of being able to slow the car!

Posted 04 May 2015, 20:13 #2 

Trebor
not apparent to the naked eye, so maybe the emperor's new clothes syndrome,as for bog standard frozen brake discs seen a few of those myself over the years
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 05 May 2015, 21:24 #3 

Duncan
Best frozen brake discs I ever saw were on a Passatt. Car was left in -24C overnight, then brought into a workshop at around 18C, but also quite humid relatively because of the melting snow and ice off other cars. It stayed in the workshop for about 3 minutes. This wasn't long enough for the discs to warm up, but was long enough for a nice film of condensation to form on the discs, then freeze. Result, zero braking and a lovely dint in a roller shutter door.

Posted 05 May 2015, 21:35 #4 

PaulT
Cryogenically - you can imagine the meeting,
'
'that's a good word what does it mean?'
'dunno'
'we'll use it anyway don't it sound good'

I absolutely love the ads on TV, normally for body care products. 'The new formulated hair shampoo with crimbolic acid' 'bonzo soap with added loxalac' etc. As Harold Steptoe would have said 'what a load of old cobblers'.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 May 2015, 21:52 #5