Archery?? by Zeb

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Zeb
My son is after a 'proper' Junior archery set for Christmas.....which is fine...but I have no idea what I am looking at / for and no idea just how much room he is likely to need to use the thing safely? Anyone here have any experience in such matters? Ta...:)

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 17:42 #1 

BADLAD
Hi, I'm not an archer myself, but i have a had a go at it as there is an archery club that uses a field nearby. They place the targets around 40-50 yards away from where they stand to fire and there is around another 50 yards behind the targets. It's a really dangerous sport, the aluminium arrows can go straight through a person from close range.
Compound bows allow more power for a shorter pull in the string. These are the ones with pulleys on the strings. They also give a smoother delivery of power to the arrow making them more accurate.
I have seen bows for sale at decathlon along with the accessories (quiver, counter balance weights, arrows and wrist braces. I think they may have a web based shop where you can order stuff from, but it might be a good idea to go to a local club and get some advise / let your son have a go first.

Not very helpful I suppose, but that's about the extent of my knowledge!

Ian.

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 19:30 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I agree with Ian, get him along to an archery club, there's nowhere near enough space in your back garden.

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 20:58 #3 

Zeb
These are the sorts of things I was half expecting to hear! Cheers chaps! He'll have to think of summat else...:)

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 21:54 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Air weapons are good fun.

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 22:02 #5 

zojosc
Mick wrote:Air weapons are good fun.

The rabbits in my garden may have a differant point of view to yours Mick!
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 12:44 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I couldn't bring myself to shoot an animal unless it were for the pot. I do target shooting in my back garden, it's over 22 yards so an adequate space.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 15:04 #7 

zojosc
I only shoot them to avoid the garden being totally destroyed and they do end up in the pot.I too would not shoot creatures for sport.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 15:12 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Clay pigeon! I love it! Definately can't do that in your back garden though!

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 21:59 #9 

Duncan
If I had shot the rabbit we kept seeing in our garden, the Vicar would have been a touch upset! Not only that, They would have kept saying 'you killed Kenny'.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 22:08 #10 

RichardGarner
Archery is harder than it looks, still fun though but I prefer shooting myself. A spring operated air gun will probably be cheaper and if you fit a scope on it will look pretty cool. I have a rather expensive air rifle which when fully charged it has a muzzle velocity greater than the legal limit for an air weapon... It can dent a lump of oak easily at 30 yards so bean can bashing is great and more humane than bunny bashing.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 23:14 #11 

Zeb
Well....decision made....a stop-motion animation set-up..:D Nothing dies and he has said in the past he would really like summat like that! Never got on with air weapons myself...lack of opportunity mostly!

Posted 04 Nov 2011, 07:14 #12 

Jürgen
Monk wrote:Clay pigeon! I love it! Definately can't do that in your back garden though!

Well, you definitely can. :mrgreen:

Maybe you shouldn't. :gmc:

Posted 04 Nov 2011, 09:28 #13