Anyone planning to refit a gearbox single-handed? by Zeb

Zeb
Don't try it... :mad1:

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 16:50 #1 

Tourerfogey
What's the problem? The weight of the thing or just getting it engaged?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 16:54 #2 

Zeb
Tourerfogey wrote:What's the problem? The weight of the thing or just getting it engaged?

Both...and it's shape...getting two trolley jacks under it and holding it at the right angle at the right height so it'll engage is an absolute pita...and no I haven't managed it yet... :( On the bright side I have repainted all the brake calipers and the disk back plates. :)

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 17:00 #3 

Tourerfogey
Sometimes you have to be quite 'brutal' with these things - best to walk away and sart afresh later. Presumable you are sure that the clutch plate is correctly centralised? (I refuse to use a 'Z' in 'centralised' - far too American . . .)

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 17:04 #4 

Zeb
Tourerfogey wrote:Sometimes you have to be quite 'brutal' with these things - best to walk away and sart afresh later. Presumable you are sure that the clutch plate is correctly centralised? (I refuse to use a 'Z' in 'centralised' - far too American . . .)

I walked away yesterday....and then again today... :lol: Clutch plate centralisation is a possible issue...as the gadget for doing it will not fit in the gap betwixt gearbox and engine.....yes I have done it with the gearbox resting on the sub-frame...anyway, I centralised the clutch by hand....but until I can get the ferkin gearbox correctly angled and at the correct height I really don't know if I have done it right or not.... hey ho... the old clutch was at its wear limit and the slave had toasted itself and then imploded...chunks of it fell out the bell housing when I opened her up... :shock: :?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 17:10 #5 

Duncan
It is a tricky thing to do.

Clutch centralisation is a must. There's very little room for error or the spigot won't go in the pilot bush in the end of the crank. How far from being properly in is it?

Even when aligned, a good wiggle is needed to get it to go in. Remember the splines on the input shaft may need to rotate a bit to go into the clutch plate.

Don't know if you have any access to a hoist but it's much easier supporting from the top, using the little lifting loop, and it sits nicely because it's positioned right for the centre of gravity.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 18:13 #6 

Last edited by Duncan on 27 Mar 2011, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
Cheers Duncan...think that will be the next move somehow....

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 18:20 #7 

Martin
Look I don't know if this helps but I have found if you smear the shaft with yogurt it has no effect whatsoever but it gives you a good reason to raid the fridge ;) for that bottle of medication that is predominantly made from apples, apply large quantities to the throat and RELAX..........Mmmmmmmmmmmmm that's better :cheers:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 18:25 #8 

Zeb
Martin wrote:Look I don't know if this helps but I have found if you smear the shaft with yogurt it has no effect whatsoever but it gives you a good reason to raid the fridge ;) for that bottle of medication that is predominantly made from apples, apply large quantities to the throat and RELAX..........Mmmmmmmmmmmmm that's better :cheers:

Now then Martin, I knew a girl once....... opps, wrong forum.... :lol:

Borrowed an engine hoist and the gearbox popped on like a succubus on a commission package... :shock: :? :thumbsup:

Posted 29 Mar 2011, 22:09 #9 

JohnDotCom
Well done Zeb, proper tools and all that. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Mar 2011, 07:58 #10 

johnny the fox
Duncan wrote:It is a tricky thing to do.

Clutch centralisation is a must. There's very little room for error or the spigot won't go in the pilot bush in the end of the crank. How far from being properly in is it?

Even when aligned, a good wiggle is needed to get it to go in. Remember the splines on the input shaft may need to rotate a bit to go into the clutch plate.

Don't know if you have any access to a hoist but it's much easier supporting from the top, using the little lifting loop, and it sits nicely because it's positioned right for the centre of gravity.

This is what i had to do as space is tight and for some reason gearboxes seem to have got heavier than i remember. It was a real pain not something i wish to repeat in a hurry especially with having to disconnect the front hubs and drop the front subframe,exhaust and steering rack.

Posted 13 Aug 2011, 22:42 #11 

Duncan
johnny the fox wrote:This is what i had to do as space is tight and for some reason gearboxes seem to have got heavier than i remember.

Front wheel drive geraboxes are heavier than rear wheel drive ones, as they contain the Diff which is big and heavy. Extra gears add a bit of weight, too.

Posted 14 Aug 2011, 09:09 #12