analogue TV unit, by kandyman (Page 1 of 2)

kandyman
Evening all,

Well the time has come for me to think about upgrading my analogue TV unit,

As most members would of already turned to a digital system I was wondering what you guys have brought and what sort of antennas and how/where you fitted them.

I have been browsing this evening and found this unit that looks good, what do you guys think ?

http://www.parkmyauto.co.uk/bmw-bmw-utv ... -938-p.asp

Cheers

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 20:08 #1 

takestock
I did this a while ago, JDC will be the best to ask. What i will say is if you can afford one with twin antenna they are far superior in the reception dept even with an active single one ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 20:33 #2 

kandyman
What system did you go for ?

Where do you mount your antenna, I like the idea for a roof mounted sharks fin.

I'll wait for JDC to wake up and give his advice.

Cheers

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 06:04 #3 

takestock
I just bought a cheap one from ebay with a remote eye. don't get me wrong if you get a signal it works great but the let down is the antenna. Bought one of them from an OC member "best on the market" not much improvement. sticks on the rear screen 12V active. If I were to do it again, twin antenna, one front screen one rear.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 06:32 #4 

Last edited by takestock on 24 Apr 2012, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
A sharks fin won't get you good TV reception, it's too short.

The best bet would be to re-use the ones for the existing tuner as they are no longer any use for TV. You will need a DVB tuner that can give power out on its antenna inputs. Some do this but you may have to switch the power on via a menu. I can't recommend one as mine doesn't have this feature and the antennas are pants.

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 06:57 #5 

kandyman
Cheers guys,

Duncan how about this as it says it uses the existing antennas.
http://www.parkmyauto.co.uk/rover-75-mg ... 1105-p.asp

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 09:27 #6 

kandyman
I have just had a very nice chat with Russel the owner of http://www.parkmyauto.co.uk from the company i have linked above.

the good news is he has agreed to do a members discount so i'll do a little write up in the People you really can't do without Section.

people-you-really-cant-do-without.html

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 15:17 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Good job Andy, well done.

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 15:41 #8 

kandyman
Morning Chaps,

I ordered my equipment last week and it turned up 2 days later, happy days :)

i ordered the Rover 75 MGZT MGZTT (R75-UTVS2) Professional In Car Digital Twin TV Upgrade Kit DAB Radio Channels
http://www.parkmyauto.co.uk/rover-75-mg ... -937-p.asp

Rover 75 MG Twin Phantom Digital TV Antenna Aerials
http://www.parkmyauto.co.uk/rover-75-mg ... 1105-p.asp

I have not got round to fitting it yet, it looks easy but i think I’ll enlist the help of an expert as I normally break things 

Posted 01 May 2012, 07:04 #9 

MN190
Hi Andy
any update on progress or a review

Posted 08 May 2012, 21:57 #10 

kandyman
Only got round to getting it installed today, it took the fitter about 10 minutes to have it all fitted

I have not used the aerials that came with it at the moment so I am using the patch leads that allows me to use the existing TV aerial, I still have to run the remote cable from the boot to the front somewhere.

In setting it up it found all the TV stations and displayed a picture, not a great picture but I was round my dads house which has a very poor reception.

When I get round to running the remote cable in I'll give it some more testing and if need be I'll install the twin phantom aerials that I got with the kit.

So far I'm happy with it and it was a good price.

Posted 08 May 2012, 23:23 #11 

Suffolk Man
i have also used this setup from the same place.let us no how you get with the phantom adaptors.only i have found where there is a signal the picture to be excellent.but the problem is thier are not many places around where i can pick anything up.this might improve this week as the mighty sandy heath transmitter is changing its transmission signals

Posted 09 May 2012, 08:46 #12 

kandyman
Afternoon everyone,

After giving the unit a good run about the last week using the existing TV car aerials and the patch leads I decided to fit the
phantom aerials as I could not pick up any good signals.

I fitted the 2 phantom aerials one at on the front windscreen on the passenger side and one on the rear screen on the same side and turned on the active aerial option in the TV settings and I now have a great picture on all the channels.

I'm now happy that I can watch all the freeview channels when I'm waiting to pick the wife or daughter up form somewhere :)

Posted 20 May 2012, 17:19 #13 

JohnDotCom
......and you should also now have DAB radio Andy..........
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 20 May 2012, 17:50 #14 

kandyman
Yes I also have dab radio.

Posted 20 May 2012, 18:20 #15 

Suffolk Man
glad it worked ok so in short you used stick on aerails as oppossed to the highline ones?i might also try changing the settings to active on the tv menu.thats when i get it back from having a new altenator fitted

Posted 20 May 2012, 22:07 #16 

kandyman
Yes I used the stick on ones.

I don't think you can turn the active setting on when using the oem aerials

Posted 20 May 2012, 22:17 #17 

Duncan
I would have thought you need to use the active setting with the OEM aerials as they have active antennas and need the power supply. Unfortunately my freeview box doesn't have this.

Posted 21 May 2012, 07:00 #18 

kandyman
Thanks for the info Duncan, I didn't know that :/

Could of saved me installing the new ones.

Posted 21 May 2012, 17:23 #19 

Duncan
I thought that's what these phantom aerials were you see. Because the system is known as phantom power, that is you feed power up the same wire the signal comes down. Also, one of your links showed a cable adaptor that did this (used the existing antennas) so when you referred to the phantom antennas, I just assumed this is what you were doing.

They should really have had some instructions with the patch leads that told you this!

Posted 21 May 2012, 18:07 #20