alternative power source for footwell lights by baconbuttyman

baconbuttyman
Had a visit today from an OC members "Bob Grice", very nice chap who bought a laptop this morning and who attended my Mini mod meet last year, any way, he was admiring my foot well lights that i installed, but, he asked if i would place lights in his car, which i will with pleasure, But, when i did mine, i used the courtesy light for the power source, But, bob's cars has "A" pillar air bags, is there an alternative lower power source that i could use, i would like to avoid taking the air bag covers off, If i have to i will, obviously just run one line down one pillar.
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 18:20 #1 

Duncan
I'm pretty sure the courtesy lamps are supplied from the BCU (Body Control Unit), which means you could connect down there without removing the A pillar trims.

Let me have a look and I'll come back.

EDIT:

OK, yes. The power to the interior lamps you used will be the purple white. This comes from the BCU connector C0661 pin 12. According to the circuit diagrams, it goes into one of the headers (C0288) but the connector info for that header contradicts this. So I'd suggest connecting to that pin at the BCU.

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 18:27 #2 

Last edited by Duncan on 06 Jul 2011, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

baconbuttyman
bob lives in Blackburn, long way to go to look :@)
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 18:31 #3 

Duncan
baconbuttyman wrote:bob lives in Blackburn, long way to go to look :@)

Ah yes, but I have, and I'm back already....

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 18:37 #4 

baconbuttyman
lol, and what did you detect on your travells

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 18:55 #5 

Duncan
baconbuttyman wrote:lol, and what did you detect on your travells

I edited post 2, and put it in that.

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 19:16 #6 

baconbuttyman
Duncan wrote:I'm pretty sure the courtesy lamps are supplied from the BCU, which means you could connect down there without removing the A pillar trims.

Let me have a look and I'll come back.

EDIT:

OK, yes. The power to the interior lamps you used will be the purple white. This comes from the BCU connector C0661 pin 12. According to the circuit diagrams, it goes into one of the headers (C0288) but the connector info for that header contradicts this. So I'd suggest connecting to that pin at the BCU.

Can you translate to english :)

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 18:10 #7 

Duncan
Err, not sure what you are struggling with, as I don't know how much you know about the electrics.

Do you know what I mean by the BCU? Do you know where it is?

Maybe better if you tell me which bits you don't understand.

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 18:14 #8 

baconbuttyman
BCU? what is that and where would i find it, cheers mate

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 20:34 #9 

Duncan
OK, no probs.

BCU is body control unit, the main 'computer' that controls windows, interior lights, locking, the alarm and so on.

It lives above the fusebox in the passenger footwell area. If you remove the glovebox, it's above that. It's black or beife (depending on model) rectangular, and fixed to the steel tube that runs inside the fascia.

It has three connectors, one with large round pins, and two with smaller pins. Connector C0661 is the one with the large round pins. Pin 12 on this is the output that goes to the interior lights, so you can connect your LEDs to that. Its a purple with white stripe wire.

To disconnect that connector, there's a part that slides sideways and helps to wedge the connector off as it were. Hopefully you'll see what I mean when you look at it.

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 20:49 #10 

baconbuttyman
Thankyou Duncan, does the glove box come off easily

Posted 08 Jul 2011, 09:08 #11 

PaulT
baconbuttyman wrote:Thankyou Duncan, does the glove box come off easily

If you do not mind me commenting on this.....

Some say pull up the lining at the bottom until you come to the screws. Personally, I put cross cuts above the screws so that I could get a screwdriver through and undid the screws that way. Does not show the cuts whereas if the lining has been pulled up it might not fit back correctly.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Jul 2011, 10:17 #12 

SpongeBob
As an addendum to the above: The connector for the light inside the glovebox is on a fairly short wire. It is on the left-hand side of the glovebox (as you look at it sitting in the passenger seat). Once you've undone all the screws (some underneath the glovebox carpet and some above either side of the clasp) and start to slide/wiggle the glove box out you should see the connector attached to the side of the glovebox. Undo said connector and continue to slide out the glovebox.

As a note of caution: Some of the screws still protrude underneath the box once removed and are very pointy! Be careful you don't put it down on any surface that might get damaged by these screws such as your car seats or bodywork.

Posted 08 Jul 2011, 12:06 #13 

Duncan
To completely answer, yes it's an easy job.

Four torx screws across the top lip, three hidden under the stuck down mat like Paul said.

To make it easier, the door drops down further than 'normal' position. Open the glovebox. Then look at either side there's a 'stay' that holds the lid in the open position. Curved, made of plastic. If you squeeze it slightly where there's a gap, you can open it wider than the 'normal' position. It makes getting at the screws easier.

Then as Simon said, disconnect the glovebox lamp on the left side. This is done by squeezing the sides of the connector.

I reccomend taking the screws completely out, as it's quite hard to get the glovebox fully back in place if they are sticking out of the bottom.

Posted 08 Jul 2011, 12:28 #14