Aircon *ER* by phenonix

phenonix
When I press *auto* on my aircon it comes up with *ER* this stays on till I restart the car, cold air does not come out, also led for the HRW will not come on, if I quickly press *Econ* I can then control everything like fan speed and temperature control, if I press the demister it also goes to *ER*
Would anyone have any suggestions?

Posted 13 Feb 2011, 08:52 #1 

Duncan
Last person who had this (lates I think) it was a dead fuse. There are three for the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) if I remember right.

Edit: still in my PM box:

Fuse 34, 5amp was blown

Posted 13 Feb 2011, 15:35 #2 

phenonix
lates must have my doopledanger car, any issues he has i seem to get also! :D
I'll check that fuse so see if its the problem

Posted 14 Feb 2011, 07:38 #3 

phenonix
Checked the fuse, it was actually fuse 4, manual says fuse 4 covers power windows yet my windows were working so i did not check it, fuse 4 covers the power-folds of which there is no mention in my manual.
Least it put me on the right track
and i drove in 40 degree temperatures with no aircon!
Thanks

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 06:17 #4 

takestock
After all that, a fuse! Glad your sorted :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 07:24 #5 

phenonix
I know, I know, I know :gmc:
But bizarre that the blown fuse only gave an error on one part of the aircon while the rest was fine :confused:

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 07:44 #6 

Duncan
I think there are four fuses in total for the ATC panel. Permanent feed, aux feed, ignition feed, and one that goes to (I think) the recirc / fresh motor.

Fuses are often shared, so the descriptions in the manual can be misleading. There are at least two different fuses involved in the powerfold circuit, too.

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 08:09 #7 

phenonix
Well it was the recycling/fresh bit that was giving me the error I think , ho hum, I have a knack of making the simplest things complicated

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 08:29 #8 

Duncan
Ah, which style of fusebox do you have? Is it grey, or red and black (later style).

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 13:09 #9 

phenonix
without looking i'm sure grey, do the three different colour fusebox tell you which configuration of fuses they have?

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 20:32 #10 

Duncan
two configurations, grey, or red and black together in one box.

Not sure what you mean by telling you what configuration..

If it's grey that's why it was fuse four, Lates has a car with the later red/black fusebox.

Basically you've had the same fuse fail as he did.

Posted 15 Feb 2011, 21:29 #11 

phenonix
was meaning how the fuses differ in number position in the two fuse box's mentioned
would be interesting to see the two to compare them
i.e. How my fuse 4 is fuse 34 in another fuse box, and what other differences there are in the two...and why?

Posted 16 Feb 2011, 07:26 #12 

Duncan
I see.

All fuses are different, the whole numbering structure is different between the two boxes. They are quite different, and take different fuse sizes as well.

The older style, like yours, has a series of connectors on the back, so the fuse box basically plugs in. The later one is 'hard wired' that is the wires from the harness connect directly, and permanently, to the fusebox. This is obviously a cheaper way of doing it, hence the change.

Posted 16 Feb 2011, 13:24 #13