Airbag sensors. by bopperbrian

bopperbrian
I have just ordered side impact Airbag sensors for my 75 connessuer part number YDB100310. Is there a special right hand side and left hand side only they seem to have a differing bar code on the ones I have taken out. These are the green type that fit just inside the rear footwells. Can I just fit the new ones on any side?

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 15:37 #1 

kandyman
Hi there,

I believe they can be fitted to either side.

can I ask where your changing yours ?

Posted 20 Sep 2013, 16:19 #2 

bopperbrian
Hi Kandyman. They look the same when you compare them like for like but the bar codes on each one is different. I am changing them because when I bought the car the footwells were full of water 2 inches deep. I have dried them out but soon after the airbag light came on and reported a fault. Before I could do anything the light went out on its own but after a while came on again. This happened a few times and then reading the posts on here I tried the "Plugs under the seats" method. This has not worked and so I decided to change the sensors. Looking at them when I first exposed them, they were covered with a white corrosion and so this has made me take the decision I have. I am doing the job on my driveway,

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 10:08 #3 

kandyman
It's the same part number for both sides the bar codes will be for there own tracking.

You will be ok doing it on your drive as you won't need any T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) or anything, the light should go out after a few minutes after it carries out it self tests.

Good luck.

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 10:43 #4 

Duncan
Yes, Andy is quite right. All airbag components have unique serial numbers with barcodes. so the manufacturer knows exactly which part went on which car. Then if there's ever a problem with a batch of parts, they are absolutely sure which cars they need to recall or whatever. I'm not aware this has ever happened, mind, its just in case.

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 12:27 #5 

bopperbrian
Thanks Guys,

I am great-full for your replies. I was worried that they were different for each side and I had ordered the wrong things when I just asked for two. I will hopefully get the delivery by Wednesday so I will let you know how I get on with the installation. If that doesn't do the trick I will have to have a diagnostic test.

Posted 21 Sep 2013, 15:35 #6 

bopperbrian
Ok here is the up-date.

I fitted the side impact Airbag sensors and put everything back together again and ....... yipeee!!! it worked. The warning light has gone off. I hope it stays that way.

Posted 25 Sep 2013, 15:33 #7 

kandyman
Well done,

Its always good when you can fix a problem.

Posted 25 Sep 2013, 16:03 #8 

bopperbrian
It is always good when you have back-up to help you, as with these community members. I thank you all.

Posted 26 Sep 2013, 10:50 #9 

Jupiter
Hi, I had the same problem with water in the offside footwells. ( Front and rear ). The airbag warning light has been on for a few months now. I had the car on the T4 at Teddybears last Sunday and Duncan said it was the Drivers Side Bag Sensor that was at fault. I cannot locate them on Rimmers site. Where can I order them from ? And where exactly on the car are the located ? I have one of the early Cowley Connies ( Diesel ) Are the located under the carpet ?
Any advice would certainly be appreciated. Many thanks.

Jupiter.

Posted 26 Oct 2013, 16:50 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Here you go Drummond. Sorry don't where they are located.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YWJ101340

Posted 27 Oct 2013, 13:40 #11 

Trebor
Hi Drummond, the side impact sensors are located under the front seat carpets on the front of the seat cross members attached with 2 torx bolts and you have a pm
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 27 Oct 2013, 14:10 #12 

bopperbrian
They are located on the crossmember running under the front seats. You will have to remove the front seats and unplug the sensor connectors, having done this, you will have to lift the carpet. The trims strips along the door holding the carpet will need to be removed. The carpet cannot be lifted without removing all the trims and fittings so I found it easier to cut the carpet from under the seats by the handbrake housing across to the bottom of the piller by the seatbelt anchourage. Peel the carpet back from the cut and expose the crossmember. It seems that the Orange ones (The ones I have for sale) are located nearer the front of the car (down by the front side of the seat in the corner of the floor pan)and the green ones that are in mine are behind the seat bolted onto the crossmember.

Posted 28 Oct 2013, 10:59 #13