Air con by orbinrangle

• Related topics: (no related topics)

orbinrangle
The aircon panel on my Tourer works as it should but the blower is on full blast all the time. Something simple or something expensive?

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 17:26 #1 

MrB
Is this just when set to auto or is this all the time?

You can pick up the modules for about £15 off eBay. Might be worth just trying another?

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 17:29 #2 

orbinrangle
All the time. It should do it in auto only when getting the car up or down to the selected temp. You can put it to manual, press the buttons to vary the speed and the scales move on the indicator but you only get full blast....

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 17:33 #3 

MrB
Shame you're so far away I'd happily take mine off and try it in yours to see if it sorted it.

Might be worth asking if there is another local member who woul dbe willing to connect theirs to yours to see if it is the A/C module??

If the module isn't the cause I would say that maybe the other speeds have stopped working and the system is therefore using the only one that works??

Does the temperature alter?? I wonder if the cabin temp sensor is no longer working??

There is an A/C system check procedure which runs a diagnostic and displays the codes on the A/C unit screen, I'll try find it and get back to you.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 19:14 #4 

MrB
OK here you go

takestock wrote:First try the diagnostics for the aircom as follows
NB: always do the test in good light

You can perform a manual diagnostic check of the air con system by pressing and holding the AUTO switch and the air distribution switch, then turning the ignition switch from 0 to II. The audible warning and all the indications on the control panel display cycle on and off whilst the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) ECU (Engine Control Unit) runs the diagnostic check. When complete, all the indications in the display are replaced by FC in the left-hand temperature window and two digit fault codes in the the right-hand window which cycle in numerical order. An audible warning sounds as each fault code is shown. The check is cancelled by pressing the OFF switch or turning the ignition switch to 0. If there are no faults, the system reverts to normal operation. In low light conditions the sunlight sensor (top centre of dash) should be illuminated with a strong light source.

Hope this helps

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 19:23 #5 

takestock
I was just looking for that :em:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 19:25 #6 

MrB
Made sure you got the credit Dave

It certainly helped me with my problems. Only to rule out some possible causes, unfortunately, but nevertheless meant I can concentrate on what is causing it rather than what isn't.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 19:33 #7 

orbinrangle
Thanks chaps. I shall try the diagnostics thing and let you know.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 10:28 #8 

orbinrangle
The dignostics process did not work on my car--it's a 2004 04 facelift model. Is it different for this car?

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 13:26 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
orbinrangle wrote:The dignostics process did not work on my car--it's a 2004 04 facelift model. Is it different for this car?

ATC is the same for all cars except perhaps V8 I have no experience of those.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 13:31 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Here is the Know How guide to ATC Diagnostics.

xpdfdocuments/Car_Interior/ATC_Diagnostics.pdf

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 13:49 #11 

orbinrangle
I shall try again, but last time nothing at all happened when the instructions were followed. Unless I'm being very thick, which is not that unlikely.
The air distribution button is the one next to the auto button isn't it?

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 16:11 #12 

JohnDotCom
As a side thought.
If the Temperature is set to "Lo" the Auto function is disengaged and the fan will run at full speed till car is very cold. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 16:30 #13 

MrB
Air distribution switch in the one which changes whether on screen, face, feet or combinations of the above.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:33 #14 

orbinrangle
Check run, no fault codes indicated, fault still exists. Interesting.

Posted 07 Sep 2010, 08:22 #15 

orbinrangle
Problem now fixed by a man who knows.
So, if your aircon works except for the speed control (ie, when you vary the speed and the bars on the screen increase and decrease as they should but the blower remains on full blast all the time) and there are no faults presented on a diagnostic check your problem is the blower speed transistor. You will require part numbers ZUA00000590 and ZUA00000600, both available from Rimmer Bros and for less from X Part. Takes about 45 minutes to fit.
My previously trusted Rover garage quoted around £650 to supply and fit a new aircon console. Which would have fixed nothing. Glad I sought another opinion.

Posted 21 Sep 2010, 11:09 #16