After-market Sunroof...... by Wilsy (Page 1 of 2)

Wilsy
Anyone know of any companies that can fit an after-market glass sunroof? Preferably in the North Midlands, Cheshire or North West.
I am happy with just a manual open and tilt so doesn't have to be all singing and dancing.
Wilsy

MGZT 190+

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 12:06 #1 

JohnDotCom
Les at SMC Trading did have the genuine thing in stock,
all you need then is someone with a large tin opener. :D
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 12:09 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Webasto would be my choice if any.
http://sunroof.webasto.co.uk/

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 12:27 #3 

Falcon Flyer
Corin and I are planning to remove the whole roof section from a 75 and paint it up to fit onto my sunroof-less 75.
He seems to think that removing the trim strips and both windscreens and Bob's your Uncle!

We hope to achieve this in two days, with painting in between.

Photos will be taken........ :-)
The only 75 with a non-factory fitted, factory fitted sunroof!

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 19:47 #4 

JakeWilson
Falcon Flyer wrote:Corin and I are planning to remove the whole roof section from a 75 and paint it up to fit onto my sunroof-less 75.
He seems to think that removing the trim strips and both windscreens and Bob's your Uncle!

So are you going to cut the old roof off, or just incorporate the sunroof mechanism into the existing roof?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 19:51 #5 

DeuxGazoles
Falcon Flyer wrote:Corin and I are planning to remove the whole roof section from a 75 and paint it up to fit onto my sunroof-less 75.

Big job but simple enough really...................we did a roof replacement on a citroen BX years ago after a tree fell on it :roll:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 19:54 #6 

James.uk
When chatting to a bloke in our local sunroof fitting shop, I was told they can't retro fit one to the Rover 75.. :confused: :?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 20:03 #7 

DeuxGazoles
James.uk wrote:When chatting to a bloke in our local sunroof fitting shop, I was told they can't retro fit one to the Rover 75.. :confused: :?

Strange :confused: there's nothing under the roof skin at that point afaik
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 20:08 #8 

Messenger

Well it can be done.

The car in question is now a complete unit again and waiting to be painted on Monday. It would have been sooner if there had not been delays with the bodyshop.

A full how to with pictures will be published shortly.

Of course if anyone else would be interested in this dramatic conversion then let me know.

A few pictures:

:)

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 09:13 #9 

PaulT
Now the good old P6 - unbolt the roof panel - 28 bolts if I remember correctly - and just bolt the new one on.

Ah, those were the days
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 09:51 #10 

JohnDotCom
PaulT wrote:Now the good old P6 - unbolt the roof panel - 28 bolts if I remember correctly - and just bolt the new one on.

Ah, those were the days

Yes indeed those were the days, wouldn't pass any safety tests etc now though.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 11:07 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
IMHO Never saw the point in sunroofs after the advent of A/C, glass in the roof just makes the car interior hotter, and more things to break down. I can see the point if you are a smoker or suffer from extreme BO and require the extra through ventilation.
However, different strokes for different folks. It would not be something that would sway my decision to buy or not. Frankly if I wanted a steaming great hole in the roof I'd go for a convertible, with all the problems of rag tops.

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 11:15 #12 

JohnDotCom
I had a sunroof as a option on my 75, but don't think its been open in 200,000 miles I just use the Climate Control! :em:
John

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 11:23 #13 

PaulT
Mick wrote:Frankly if I wanted a steaming great hole in the roof I'd go for a convertible, with all the problems of rag tops.

Unfortunately, they did not make the Tourers in convertible form.

Will admit I like a sunroof and a/c and will be looking for that on my next 75. You can either pull the 'shutter' across and let no light come in, push it back and let light come in or open it up. Sometimes it is nice to see the sky.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 12:54 #14 

JohnDotCom
Sometimes it is nice to see the sky.

.....and sometimes you can get really sick of it! ;) :gmc:
John

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 16:05 #15 

Tourerfogey
A sunroof can make a cars interior feel light and airey which is good, it can also make it feel wet which isn't so good . . .

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 16:36 #16 

Duncan
I've had cars with sunroofs that made me uncomfortable, because of the reduced headroom. Since having aircon, I've never missed having one.

Mind you, with the weather ecently, It's been nice having a ragtop. I will be happy to give it back though, as using the boot is a joke!

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 16:49 #17 

Jürgen
PaulT wrote:Sometimes it is nice to see the sky.

Where are you looking at while driving? :panic:

Tourerfogey wrote:A sunroof can make a cars interior feel light and airey which is good, it can also make it feel wet which isn't so good . . .

Well, I prefer the former. :D

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 16:51 #18 

baconbuttyman
My old mk 2 granada had a home fitted sun roof, my old man fitted it, cut the hole out with an old style tin opener, never leaked.
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 18:53 #19 

RRobson
just leave the 75 as it is now, stick some runners along each side of the roof seam, cover with fabric and with something to pull it forward and backward and hey presto! a convertible 75 8-)
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 02 Jul 2011, 20:52 #20