advise needed by smallpaul

smallpaul
Hi Everyone
I am looking to buy a diagnostic reader for my car, it can be handheld or laptop.
Which in your opinion is is the one to buy that is suitabble for my car it is a 2003 mg zt cdti.
Hope you can help

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 11:23 #1 

Duncan
I guess it depends on your finances. Ideally a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System), but they are very expensive. Other units only do some systems, not all.

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 11:36 #2 

raistlin
As far as I am aware, the 75 and ZT diesels weren't fully compliant with OBD (On Board Diagnostics) until 04 MY Paul, so you'd be in the same situation as me, OBD reader not a great deal of use.

Then, as Duncan says the next step up is to the T4.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 13:16 #3 

Dave
So does that mean that the Android/bluetooth ones being talked about on the Enthusiasts are not going work on a diesel then? :(

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 15:05 #4 

raistlin
Not a Diesel before 2004 MY, at least, not properly
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 15:32 #5 

Dave
Darn......... :(

Posted 05 Aug 2012, 16:43 #6 

humphshumphs
I've got a USB code reader and while it does works with my 2003 CDT, but only to look at a very small amount of things. I can turn off the engine management light (if it comes on), but not a great deal else.
Richard

Posted 08 Aug 2012, 06:25 #7 

Dave
I'd be interested to know how many things it can look at before I jump in and buy one! If it's literally only two or three, then probably not worth it :(

Posted 08 Aug 2012, 08:42 #8 

Gate Keeper
You could give Rover Ron a ring and he will advise you what you need. It is possible to buy many scanners and waste money if they cannot talk to your management system. Not all of our cars can be interrogated by a T4 which is another factor to consider. Mine is more suited to T1.

Posted 08 Aug 2012, 14:00 #9