ABS Sensor Resistance by GaSrAm

GaSrAm
After checking my sensors with a multimeter i find one with a high resistance reading and 3 with a reading around 10(00) ohms am i correct in thinking this could be the cause of my intermitant abs fault light ?

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 18:46 #1 

Bernard
I would expect them to be within the range 1000 to 1500 ohms. If higher then either a broken wire, bad connector or faulty. Depends where you are taking the readings.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 20:58 #2 

GaSrAm
This was found just checking the sensors themselves

Posted 10 Oct 2010, 08:56 #3 

Duncan
The sensors on 75s are the newer style hall sensors, so ar difficult to check with a multimeter, unlike others.

The difference in the reading could be as simple as which way you connected your multimeter. One way would conduct, the other not.

I doubt it's your intermittent problem. If the were open circuit, you would get a light all the time. I'd check you're wires for wear, and an intermittent short. Favourites are the front wheels.

A testbook /T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session would tell you where the problem lies.

Posted 10 Oct 2010, 09:21 #4 

Bernard
Although it's not a proper test, I've found on other cars that a static ohms test is a very good indicator of a bad sensor but not necessarily proof of a good one.

So I would say that the probabilities lie with a failed sensor in your case.

Withe the caveat of allowing for polarity as Duncan has mentioned.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 10 Oct 2010, 09:25 #5 

GaSrAm
Based on the results of testing 5 sensors with the static ohms test and finding only one with a vastly greater reading i would agree with Bernard however i shall find out if this is the case when i receive and fit the new sensor . As a side note although it is widely reported about the polarity i think this does not apply to the resistance test as the readings where the same both ways.

Thanks all for the input

Posted 10 Oct 2010, 11:24 #6 

GaSrAm
just to update this issue , the n/s rear hub had surface rust on the face that the sensor reads .. after a quick polish the intermitant fault has disappeared , thanks for all the help

Posted 17 Oct 2010, 22:21 #7