ABS and Traction control fault by Chuckles

Chuckles
After "swimming" in recent floods the car is showing Brake (ABS (Antilock Braking System)) and Traction control Faults. It did affect the speed unit as well with intermittent speedo and wipers going into stationary (intermittent wipe)mode. That part cleared by the time I got home.

The last time this happened was the multi-plug on the ABS unit getting wet. Water settles in the receptacle and so shorts out everything. It was remedied then with another ABS pump.

I have not replaced the ABS yet but thoroughly dried out the plug and receptacle and coated the terminals with switch cleaner, that generally does the job.

However I think the memory is now storing the fault codes (maybe not) but the diagnostic tool I have (AUTEL AL519 ) does not have Rover codes but does show BMW although at the moment not helpful.
I have not as yet had the car on a lift to check underneath - (not sure where to start) but any advice would be gratefully received

Does this mean a more detailed analysis with T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System)? problem is the car is now SORN'd.

Posted 04 Mar 2016, 08:00 #1 

Chuckles
Just to add it is a 1999 2.0 litr petrol connie
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 04 Mar 2016, 08:01 #2 

Last edited by Chuckles on 05 Mar 2016, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

PaulT
Chuckles wrote:
Does this mean a more detailed analysis with T4? problem is the car is now SORN'd.

Provided you still have an MOT you can get insurance for as little as one day but it will cost you a months RFL to get it on the road.

Best of luck with your problem.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 04 Mar 2016, 09:01 #3 

Chuckles
I have just read this post (traction-control-and-abs-t3276) and it mentions that running the car for few hundred yards may clear this fault. worth a try down our (little used) lane??? Also the following info looked helpful from takestock
ABS Sensors:
Nearside= traction control and ABS
Offside= traction control ABS and Speedo.
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 05 Mar 2016, 06:54 #4 

takestock
That of course relates to the front sensors :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Mar 2016, 18:33 #5