AA breakdown / warranty by raistlin

raistlin
Time for breakdown cover to be renewed and I've been clued in to getting the complete AA cover including the £500 breakdown warranty for not much more than I'm paying for Green Flag.

Does anybody have any recent experience of the AA? Especially the warranty (which they call "parts and garage cover")

Thanks for any opinions
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Oct 2012, 13:55 #1 

Jaygee
raistlin wrote:Time for breakdown cover to be renewed and I've been clued in to getting the complete AA cover including the £500 breakdown warranty for not much more than I'm paying for Green Flag.

Does anybody have any recent experience of the AA? Especially the warranty (which they call "parts and garage cover")

Thanks for any opinions

I had a flat battery on my second car a v6 conny the AA came out to my house tested the battery and then put a brand new heavy duty one on..
it cost me £25.
jaygee.....
Member No: 155 Image

Posted 07 Oct 2012, 08:41 #2 

baconbuttyman
I have had two claims, one last Dec for hgf and one for a failed clutch. they paid out for both, obviously i paid for the other jobs done while it was all apart etc, but they peaid out no problem with out any quibble
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 07 Oct 2012, 14:43 #3 

baconbuttyman
also both claims were with in 2 months of each other under the same years cover
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 07 Oct 2012, 14:45 #4 

raistlin
Thanks chaps. Fairly positive then. I've seen a few horror stories online but to be fair, it seemed that the complainers weren't justified in their expectations so it's nice to see that those with common sense find the warranty worthwhile :)
Paul

Posted 07 Oct 2012, 15:11 #5 

Bolin
I looked at this but chose not to take it up as you can only claim if you have a breakdown which you couldn't have reasonably predicted i.e. if your clutch has been playing up but not stranded you, or if you can hear a funny noise but don't want to wait for whatever it is to fail, you cannot claim.

Posted 07 Oct 2012, 17:51 #6 

baconbuttyman
Bolin wrote:I looked at this but chose not to take it up as you can only claim if you have a breakdown which you couldn't have reasonably predicted i.e. if your clutch has been playing up but not stranded you, or if you can hear a funny noise but don't want to wait for whatever it is to fail, you cannot claim.

THAT IS TRUE, you must be victim of a break down, but tbh my clutch was dodgy for weeks before, i just had the thing bled all over the bell housing and that was as far as the patrolman looked, declared it had collapsed and towed me to a garage.

Posted 08 Oct 2012, 16:52 #7 

carlpenn
Which exact (AA) Policy are people using? I would be interested, but most of the Policies I have seen have age or mileage restrictions and as mine is 169k - Not many policies will cover it :(
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 08 Oct 2012, 19:13 #8 

raistlin
No mention of mileage Carl. You just put your registration number in the box and you get a quote.

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/view-options.do?optMshp=vcon300

Tick the box for "Parts and Garage Cover" and see what you come up with :)
Paul

Posted 08 Oct 2012, 19:44 #9 

al_dente
Is there no requirement for a service history? I always thought that was a requirement - or perhaps I'm wrong.

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 06:47 #10 

raistlin
al_dente wrote:Is there no requirement for a service history? I always thought that was a requirement - or perhaps I'm wrong.

They say it must be serviced by a garage during the life of the warranty.
Paul

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 07:22 #11 

Jaygee
al_dente wrote:Is there no requirement for a service history? I always thought that was a requirement - or perhaps I'm wrong.

Well they certainly didn't mention service history, just checked my membership number and details and that was that, no probs..
Jaygee...
Member No: 155 Image

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 07:22 #12 

bopperbrian
I Joined the AA in the first week in July with my Citroen Relay campervan. I did this because the following week I was doing a show on the Isle of Wight and wanted piece of mind. On my first day on the Island my brakes started to be needing to be pumped and by the following day they were non existent. I checked for leaks but found non and so I had to call up the AA. 25 minutes later the AA man told me what I had feared, the master cylinder was shot. He tried for a replacement part but couldn't get one so a recovery was ordered to get me home. Ventnor on the Island to the car ferry. Picked up on the other side and taken to Services near Oxford then on to home (Near Burton on Trent). Couldn't fault them and I'd only been a member for a week. I also believe that you have to have service stamps up to date by a recognised garage in order to be covered by the warranty scheme.

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 09:36 #13 

Gate Keeper
I did have to ring the AA underwriters to have the V6 covered for the breakdown and parts warranty as it was more than 10 years old. For its age and mileage of about 74K I had to pay an extra premium of £399 for 2 years cover. I have Home Start, Relay, Stay Mobile blah blah.....

I have been phoned at home by them and had my claims verified some of the time.

The last call out I had was when I was driving back to London on the last day of the Olympics. The roads around London were choco and the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) seal went. The car was recovered back to the garage. I had to make a complaint to the AA later about one of the drivers. The first driver who attended was a sub-contractor who was moan, moan, moan and abusive about the AA, telling me to go with Green Flag if I wanted a better deal and a better service, that the regular AA men hated working motorways at the weekend and only worked Mon - Friday in preference. He also had the same truck as the 2nd one who came and he could have taken us but could not get away out fast enough. The 2nd driver was Mr. Nice Guy - a happy chappie who completed the recovery without any fuss.

I have been an AA member for over 20 years. Not that I am biased.

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 12:16 #14 

Borg Warner
Hold on guys, am I dreaming? Got the Hippo on the drive and I'm thinking 'bout getting warranty cover, so last night checked out Warranty Direct. Typed in the details and it came out at £690 for non-franchised and £980 for a franchised garage for any repairs. (Have been pestered three times today asking me what I intended to do, should have said I'm in hospital recovering from shock). Just followed Paul's link at it comes out at £164 including the recovery? I'm missing something surely? I know there's a limit of £500. I feel feint again...........

When I first had my ZT it was pretty appalling, no thanks to the absolutely useless garage I bought it off. Had to call the AA out twice to it. The first time because of fuel filter syndrome and the second time because some useless muppet mechanic idiotic technician installed the thing the wrong way round (did this twice by the way but that's another story). On both occasions I found the AA guys very good. The second one even new how to remove the rear seat and the fuel filter to diagnose the problem. When San's RAV4 had a problem with its remote control fob used the Homestart and he got it up and running, again impressed.

Been with AA since '94

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 20:53 #15 

carlpenn
raistlin wrote:No mention of mileage Carl. You just put your registration number in the box and you get a quote.

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/view-options.do?optMshp=vcon300

Tick the box for "Parts and Garage Cover" and see what you come up with :)

Cheers Paul, Comes up with £197.92 for the Car to be covered thats with:

Roadside Assistance
At Home
National Recovery
Parts & Garage Cover
Onward Travel Options
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 11 Oct 2012, 20:29 #16