75 will not start by Gren 24 (Page 1 of 3)

Gren 24
I have a 75 tourer automatic diesel,this morning it will not start.it was in my garage over night,battery is fine.every thing on the instrument panel light up with no error massage except on the gear display it shows EP. Diesel is not frozen.So do not know what is wrong any-one any ideas !!!.
Will be great-full for any help

Gren 24

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 14:21 #1 

raistlin
Les,

Just a thought, I know this has caught me out before, is your transmission in N or P?

Other than that I'd probably go for a battery reset next.

Fingers crossed for you mate.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 14:35 #2 

Gren 24
Hi Paul,

It is P have tried it in all gears just the same.Will go and try the battery reset now thanks for that.My garage about 5 minute so walk will let you know in about half an hour if that works

Les

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 14:42 #3 

raistlin
Gren 24 wrote:Hi Paul,

It is P have tried it in all gears just the same.Will go and try the battery reset now thanks for that.My garage about 5 minute so walk will let you know in about half an hour if that works

Les

As I'm writing this I see that Duncan is also looking in. :)
Paul

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 15:05 #4 

Gren 24
Still the same.So will go back in a bit and take the battery of and charge it over night, see if that helps.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 16:00 #5 

raistlin
Gren 24 wrote:Still the same.So will go back in a bit and take the battery of and charge it over night, see if that helps.

I assume your plenum chamber isn't flooded Les?
Paul

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 16:08 #6 

Duncan
Ah.

Don't know what happened. Posted a reply but it's not appeared.

Can you clarify won't start? Does it turn over but not fire, or does it not turn over at all? Does it turn over well? Does it sound like it's trying to start or just dead?

EP from the gearbox can suggest a battery problem.

As Paul suggested, are the plenums dry?

Could be a number of things, perhaps fuel pumps. Do you get the glowplug lamp / warning on the instrument pack? If it doesn't turn over at all, it could be the starter solenoid.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 16:29 #7 

Gren 24
All the instrument warning light cum on the way they should when I start the 75,then when I turn the key to the second position I get a click lick it is trying to start then nothing it just keeps doing that.on the second turn of the key ,where it tells you what gear you are in It shows EP.
Have taken the battery of and am charging it over night.Will see if that helps.although I had full electrics including full lights.just remembered,when I turn the key the main lights cam on,light switch was of.
Plenums I checked about 2 months ago the top one are dry todaymay have to look at the lower one again tomrrow.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 21:20 #8 

Duncan
Sounds like the starter solenoid. Not sure where it is on a diesel. I'll look at the manuals and get back to you (unless someone can advise more immediately).

Often a sharp tap will temporarily resolve it, but on the diesels it seems the contacts wear out. Repair kits are relatively cheap of fleabay, I'm told.

Edit:

starter motor is visible if you remove the air intake at the very front of the engine.

Check the security of the small white / red cable to the solenoid, and the main supply cable from the battery. I've heard of one of these coming loose from the eyelet terminal. Worth tapping the solenoid too.

It's also worth checking the engine earth isn't loose, as this may explain the gearbox EP display.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 21:35 #9 

Gren 24
On the other side they are saying

Quote from page 75 of Owners Handbook (1999 version):

Gear Display (Auto Trans Only)
.....An Automatic gearbox fault is indicated by the letters 'EP' (Emergency Program) appearing. [in the Dash Gear Display]

Seems you may have some G/B probs after all

EP is displayed when either the gearbox ECU (Engine Control Unit) or the main ECU detects a fault in some gearbox related sensor readings.

It means the car is running in an emergency program in order to protect the gearbox from damage.

Even if you get the car started it will only "limp along".. you need to have it on T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) to find out whats going on.. I.e. read what faults are actually showing..

So it looks like I will have to get the garage to cum for it and get them to sort it.

Will try that with the solenoid ,just in case.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 21:48 #10 

Duncan
Yes, the EP indicates the gearbox is 'unhappy', but doesn't explain (at least directly) why it won't crank over. If the system doesn't know if the gearbox is in P or N then I wouldn't expect the click (or at least only an extremely quiet one). It should still start, even if the gearbox ECU is completely disconnected.

Remember that there is a tendency to blame the electronics, when the majority of faults are caused by stuff wearing out or corroded contacts. I would think the EP is a symptom of whatever the problem is, rather than the cause of the problem especially as it only appears when you turn to position 3 on the key.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 21:56 #11 

Gren 24
Will have another look in the morning when I can push the 75 out of the garage and have a good luck,a bit dark in there to see properly.

Will try what you have said then.Will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your help.

What would we do without people like you to help us!!!.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 22:11 #12 

James.uk
No matter what you do now you will have to get the "EP" fault codes cleared or the car will still be in "limp mode" I doubt they will clear by themselves even if you find the fault.. :confused:

At a guess, i would start looking at the connections between the gearbox and main ECU including checking the ECU for water damage..

Maybe some wires are chaffing somewhere.. I think it's that kind of fault you should be looking for.. :confused:

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 22:18 #13 

Duncan
James.uk wrote:No matter what you do now you will have to get the "EP" fault codes cleared or the car will still be in "limp mode" I doubt they will clear by themselves even if you find the fault.. :confused:

At a guess, i would start looking at the connections between the gearbox and main ECU including checking the ECU for water damage..

Maybe some wires are chaffing somewhere.. I think it's that kind of fault you should be looking for.. :confused:

Ah, but the EP does go away if you turn off the ignition and turn it back on. I've seen EP on my car and it only flashed up while I was starting because I had a low battery. Car is fine now.

The ECU for the gearbox is inside the car, so water damage is not the most likely. Passenger footwell would be very damp if water was in there.Thing to do is find the starting problem first, and worry about the EP display if the fault causing the none starting isn't the same. Let's face it, if the starter solenoid is clicking (which it sounds like it is) there's no electronics ECUs or anything else involved in the starter motor not going round. Either the starter motor is faulty, or it's missing feed or earth.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 22:29 #14 

Gren 24
Will have a look a look at the earth and check the ECU for water damage and have a good look at the wiring.to see if I can find any thing wrong.Fingers crossed it wont be raining or snowing.

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 22:44 #15 

Gren 24
Checked all the plenum's and all dry drains clear. ECU is also dry not even any condensation on it.had a look at the wiring,the best I could and could not find any thing wrong.The solenoid is clicking quit load, so I think it is the starter motor.
Will phone the garage tomorrow and get them to have a look.

Thanks for all your help with ruling out a few thing,Will let you know what the garage said is wrong.

Les

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 15:52 #16 

raistlin
Les,

If you try and start the car with lights on, do they dim slightly as you hear the solenoid click?

If so, I'd definitely say it's the starter motor.
Paul

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 16:45 #17 

Gren 24
Hi Paul,

Yes they do.What also is happening when I try to start the 75 with the lights off the lights come on has I turn the key.

Les

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 17:16 #18 

JohnDotCom
Strange, often a symphtom of a knackered battery.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 17:34 #19 

takestock
Low voltage from the battery can throw up all sorts of gremlins, inc display faults.
How old is the battery? After discounting the battery check connections to battery and starter motor. if all that checks out i would move on to the starter solenoid. Available on ebay for around £12.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 17:42 #20