75 will not start by Gren 24 (Page 2 of 3)

Gren 24
Seems plenty of power in the battery all lights working an main beam is strong.Not up for doing the solenoid or starter.Will leave that to those that know what they are doing.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 18:02 #21 

Duncan
Ah. I'd discounted battery, as the original post said battery was fine.

But I'd be checking the battery itself, and all the connections to it. I said in an earlier post, I got the EP because of a low battery, and the lights coming on when trying to start is again a classic symptom of a low or faulty battery.

So first thing, if you can, borrow another battery and try it. If you have a multimeter, you could measure the battery voltage before, and while trying to start.

Remember if the battery has gone duff, it might seem to be well charged, and putting a charger on it won't revive it. Diesels need a good battery as they have high compression, and may be trying to run glow plugs at the same time. That takes way more power than the headlamps.

Is it the original battery, or a pretty new one?

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 18:10 #22 

takestock
Don't suppose if it's pretty or ugly will make any difference Duncan :D :D :D

Confirmed though Battery is now no1 suspect :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 18:17 #23 

Gren 24
Don't know how old the battery is only had the 75 since last April,May be worth going to get a new battery.Cannot do any harm to try.Will get one tomorrow and see.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 18:29 #24 

Duncan
takestock wrote:Don't suppose if it's pretty or ugly will make any difference Duncan :D :D :D

I think you will find it does. The pretty grey / silver / blue ones are always more expensive than the ugly black ones, so the pretty ones must be better.

:gmc:

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 18:51 #25 

raistlin
Les,

Is it worth me driving up to you so as to try my battery via jump leads?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 18:55 #26 

Gren 24
Hi Paul
Thanks for the offer.The 75 is in the garage facing forward and there is a bit of a slope out of the garage so a bit hard to push out to try and jump start so will take a walk with the stacker truck and pick one up.

Much appreciated.Thanks

Les

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 19:04 #27 

Bermudan 75
Not sure if I should be posting this here, but.....

Late this afternoon I drove about a mile and parked up, went to the chippy and returned after 20 mins or so.

The car would not start, turned over but would not fire.

Walked home with fish and chips and returned to the car about 45 mins later, started on first try with no hesitation. Drove car back to Northwich an hour later and no problems.

Does anyone know what might have been the cause?

Fuel tank 3/4 full, battery 2 years old, all systems working ok until the run home from the chippy. :confused:

:cheers:

Mike

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:06 #28 

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:Not sure if I should be posting this here, but.....

Late this afternoon I drove about a mile and parked up, went to the chippy and returned after 20 mins or so.

The car would not start, turned over but would not fire.

Walked home with fish and chips and returned to the car about 45 mins later, started on first try with no hesitation. Drove car back to Northwich an hour later and no problems.

Does anyone know what might have been the cause?

Fuel tank 3/4 full, battery 2 years old, all systems working ok until the run home from the chippy. :confused:

Mike

Symptoms are typical of a cam sensor, I'd say.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:14 #29 

raistlin
Cam sensor would be my first choice as well Mike
Paul

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:20 #30 

Bermudan 75
Is this a serious problem?

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:26 #31 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Is this a serious problem?

No, 15 minute job :)
Paul

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 22:59 #32 

Bermudan 75
Thanks gents.

Posted 28 Dec 2010, 23:07 #33 

Gren 24
I have been and got a decent battery and fitted today and the 75 started first time so it was the battery.No warnings have came up.

So can I* Say THANKS to all that have helped and to the offers of help.Really appreciate all of your help.

Les

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 17:03 #34 

Bermudan 75
One of the best feelings in the world is when a previously dead car bursts in to life ! :thumbsup:

Glad your problem was resolved Les.

Mike

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 17:20 #35 

JohnDotCom
Gren 24 wrote:I have been and got a decent battery and fitted today and the 75 started first time so it was the battery.No warnings have came up.

So can I* Say THANKS to all that have helped and to the offers of help.Really appreciate all of your help.

Les

As said sometimes the most obvious is the answer,
and a lot cheaper than some solutions to. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 17:25 #36 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Battery replacement seems to sort out all sorts of problems with these cars. Who'd of thunk it. :)

Glad you are sorted.

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 17:48 #37 

takestock
Gren 24 wrote:I have been and got a decent battery and fitted today and the 75 started first time so it was the battery.No warnings have came up.

Les

Glad your sorted Les, give us enough clues and we usually get there :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 17:54 #38 

raistlin
NICE TO HEAR Les :)
Paul

Posted 29 Dec 2010, 19:51 #39 

Mick