75 Owner, Oxford by Creeing Jane

Creeing Jane
Hello - my name is Pete and have recently bought my second 75 Tourer, sadly the first one went to heaven. Until recently I was driving a Focus C Max Ghia until someone decided to to try to break in and ruined the FNS door. Direct Line deemed the car uneconomic to repair, so browing though cheap cars in Autotrader I cam across some 75s. It hadn't crossed my mind to buy another but the family rather missed the original. So now I have a Zircon Conn SE Tourer CDT (remappped by BHPUK). I fitted a Kenwood DAB radio with USB and Bluetooth and have installed a Brodit holder for the phone and done the inline thermostat mod. I misssed my old wooden wheel so found one in oak (maybe elm?) from a guy in Newport and he is going to give me the rest of the matching facia etc - I'm finding the fake burr walnut too strident. Tracked down a drivers cup holder and some powerfolds (to fit sometime in the next month). My other car is a 1972 Triumph Stag with TV8 and MOD - so now I have two classic cars!
2002 Zircon Conn SE CTD Auto Tourer
1972 Triumph Stag MOD TV8

Posted 25 Sep 2016, 17:44 #1 

Bermudan 75
Rover 75 and a Triumph Stag, can't get much better than that. Welcome to the Community.

Posted 26 Sep 2016, 07:34 #2 

Creeing Jane
Cheers friend!

Well I have fitted my powerfolds. The loom that came with the mirrors were in a bad shape with cut wires just twisted together so I decided to rebuild the existing looms with the addtional orange orange/red wires. It would appear that even the original looms have had some surgery (cut, spliced and covered with blue tape). If I am right, then that is quite shoddy for a production car. Next jobs - the facia trim and replace the tailgate glass as it looks as the the PO allowed the luggage to rub out large sections of the elements - not sure if conductive paint would cure sections over about 30cms
2002 Zircon Conn SE CTD Auto Tourer
1972 Triumph Stag MOD TV8

Posted 04 Oct 2016, 20:00 #3 

Duncan
No. The cut / splice and covered with blue tape is actually industry standard. Few people believe me and insist that's wrong, but it's true. You can see the splices mentioned in the workshop manual. Joins like that are more reliable than many other methods and the only time it causes problems on 75s is when someone decided to put one outside the body, in the rear bumper. Its the cause of parking sensor faults on many later cars.

For information, the only change between those splices and up to date modern cars is the splicing method. On the 75 its crimped, today they are welded.

Posted 05 Oct 2016, 17:30 #4 

PaulT
Duncan, as I am having trouble with my reversing sensors and tried a few things. I will take the bumper off and see if there are these type of splices and if so solder them and see if it makes a difference.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Oct 2016, 20:41 #5