3 flashes on the indicators. by Lates

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Lates
(Trader)
Been thinking about a mod that other OEMs use which is quite neat. A brief partial movement on the indicator stalk will allow a 3 flash cycle before resetting / turning off.
Is Raistlin and Duncan about, will their skills I reckon this is an easy mission ;)

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 20:12 #1 

Duncan
It's something I'd thought about before as I've had cars with it too. The Germans call it Autobahnblinkern (Sorry if I've spelled this wrongly) which means Motorway indicators as it's great when changing lanes.

Normally it's done as part of the software in whatever controls the indicators, the LSM (Light Switch Module) in this case. Obviously we can't do that. So it could be done by putting a circuit between the indicator switch and the LSM, that extends the time the signal is given to the LSM. A PIC controller could monitor the wire from the switch and provide a voltage to the LSM. Maybe it could be the same device that does the automatic unlock at ignition off?

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 20:43 #2 

Lates
(Trader)
Sounds "do able" Duncan :) Is there more interest out there guys ?

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 20:54 #3 

Trebor
Another mod, bring it on !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 21:05 #4 

JakeWilson
Sounds good!

(P.s. Duncan - that's how I'd spell it too! :-))

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 22:33 #5 

kandyman
This is a great idea,

I have this on my works citroen berlingo van and it comes in handy when overtaken on the motorway.

Count me in.

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 05:34 #6 

Dave
Sounds good!

I know that we've had "lane change" facility for a while now, as in "push the stalk up or down but not far enough to click and it will indicate until you let go" but not as much fun though!

Btw, Google translates Autobahnblinkern as "Highway Flashers" which is probably something completely different........

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 08:42 #7 

Bermudan 75
Strange that this is fitted to German cars, didn't think they had indicators fitted...... :confused:

Cheers

Mike

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 09:16 #8 

Roverite
[quote="Dave"]Sounds good!

I know that we've had "lane change" facility for a while now, as in "push the stalk up or down but not far enough to click and it will indicate until you let go" but not as much fun though!

That is how I do it, but the 3 X flash would be a nice touch.

Roverite.

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 12:26 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Include me in please. :)

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 12:29 #10 

raistlin
The automatic unlock with ignition off mod ground to a halt Duncan, but |I don't see why it shouldn't be resurrected along with this mod as well.

The original module I designed needs to be simplified such that it sends a pulse to the unlock whenever the ignition is switched off. The logic I worked out for the more "Rolls-Royce" solution which detected the lock / unlock state was self-defeating and, in the final analysis, unnecessary.

Perhaps we can discuss it if you've a mind to collaborate?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 12:40 #11 

Dave
raistlin wrote:The automatic unlock with ignition off mod ground to a halt Duncan, but |I don't see why it shouldn't be resurrected along with this mod as well

Put my name down for that one! :mrgreen:

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 13:49 #12 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:The automatic unlock with ignition off mod ground to a halt Duncan, but |I don't see why it shouldn't be resurrected along with this mod as well.

The original module I designed needs to be simplified such that it sends a pulse to the unlock whenever the ignition is switched off. The logic I worked out for the more "Rolls-Royce" solution which detected the lock / unlock state was self-defeating and, in the final analysis, unnecessary.

Perhaps we can discuss it if you've a mind to collaborate?

I think we could discuss this over the weekend. Now my work has settled down, and there's some proof I can design and manufacture the PCBs for circuits, we have a way forward on little projects like this. We will need to choose the right chip with analogue inputs, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Now I have a circuit that physically talks to the Kbus, we may be able to write software that will listen to some information that way, but that's going to take longer than a simple hardware solution.

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 13:52 #13 

takestock
I hate this 3 flash system, it's in the works van. The number of times I indicate left, realise my mistake ( remember in my job I visit homes and places I am unfamiliar with and try to follow incorrect satnav advice) and then try to cancel the indication so the car waiting to pull out of the side street wont :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 14:44 #14 

Duncan
It's for sure a Marmite thing. On the latest it's an option in the cars menu to switch it on or off.

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 15:07 #15 

raistlin
This weekend or the nano-meet Duncan :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 16:20 #16 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:This weekend or the nano-meet Duncan :)

I was thinking the Nano weekend. Of course I'm sure my Nephew would be keen to give us some input this Sunday when he's over......

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 16:51 #17 

woolleysox
Rover418275 wrote:Strange that this is fitted to German cars, didn't think they had indicators fitted...... :confused:
They appear to have them disabled on Cars imported to GB :cheers: :unionflag:

Cheers

Mike
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 29 Jun 2013, 08:53 #18