2002 ZT 180 by JustJames

• Related topics: (no related topics)

JustJames
Few pics of my ZT, forgive me if I am wrong but I gather I can post more than 3 photobucket pics per thread ? If not, I'll amend once I'm given the nudge. This is her as per the dealer's site before I bought her

Wasn't planning on buying her at all to be honest, I needed a car fairly lively as my 1997 Rover 216 Coupe had gearbox failure the day after putting her back on the road after I spent 6 months in a 1993 520i touring :oops: Anyway, quite fancied a 2001 ZS 120 off a local dealer with a screen price of €1995, as it turned out he had no keys to her as he had just got the HG done and the garage who did it were off on hols and had forgetten to throw the keys out to him before they left. End of the week was no good to me and also he said there was no budge on the €1995. So he asked would I fancy the ZT, no thanks said I, €2950 though about right for the car was more than I wanted to spend. Also 2.5KV6 etc didn't appeal. But she was auto and after a test drive and the €2250 price agreed I was in love :P

Here she is at a quick stop during the test drive

and then after a trip to the local hand wash a few days later

Nothing really done to her since, some ebay MG badges to freshen her up (usual fade had occurred to the originals), K&N panel filter, oil catch tank, oil and filter change, breather hose T piece and I removed the broken butterfly valve operated by the balance VIS (Variable Intake System) (replacement on her way from a breaker in the UK apparently so maybe some mpg improvement will be seen then).

I cleaned the engine a bit too, I like a clean engine bay, before and after

oh and I used the paperclip method to reset the service indicator thing :geek:

Due to the Kenwood head unit not playing homemade CDs and the lack of a USB port she was removed and my JVC USB/MP3 thing thrown in, so 6CD changer and steering wheel controls were sacrificed.

She cam with barely legal 225 40 18s :roll: 2 Kumho and 2 Falken, was planning on getting Hankooks but a slow puncture alerted me to severe bulges on the inside edge of both fronts so Accelera were put on in the correct size on a Friday afternoon as I didn't want to drive on the bulgy ones. To be honest I wouldn't have chanced them but they were on the 520i when I got her and I found them excellent, even in the wet on the rwd yoke when I would have preferred them to be less excellent :lol: Loads of Alfa lads put them on 159s according to Alfa forums and they speak highly of them too.

Hope that post isn't OTT :panic:

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 17:55 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Lovely motor. :) Best combination in my view. V6 married to the auto box.

Yes I am biased. :D

Limit on pics in a post. Linked from elsewhere PB for example no limit.
If you use the system uploader there is a limit of three per post. Multiple posts are acceptable. :)

Welcome to the forum, hope you find it a useful resource.

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 18:04 #2 

Duncan
Theres another owner in your area. CDTi (Eamonn) has a lovely pearl black beast.

Met up with him near Cashel in the summer, and visitied the rock.

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 21:14 #3 

Jürgen
Nice car, James. And the engine bay ... quite a difference! :)

Posted 29 Oct 2010, 21:18 #4 

starbug2
nice motor . :D

Posted 30 Oct 2010, 08:02 #5 

JustJames
JustJames wrote: I removed the broken butterfly valve operated by the balance VIS (replacement on her way from a breaker in the UK apparently so maybe some mpg improvement will be seen then).

Butterfly valve arrived yesterday, hoping to throw it in today after work weather permitting. Presuming the balance VIS motor is working what difference should I notice do ye think, more torque under 3000 rpm ?

Posted 05 Nov 2010, 11:27 #6 

JustJames
Bastad VIS balance motor is tossed, won't line up at all with the valve, seems to be almost welded solid. Must go trawling Rimmers for one, anyone know the part number ??

Posted 05 Nov 2010, 17:29 #7 

JustJames
MKE100110 and £76.78 ex VAT £90.22 inc VAT.

Posted 05 Nov 2010, 17:47 #8 

JustJames
I ordered one off Rimmers and fitted it a few nights ago. Some difference, in D mode she always took what seemed a second too long to kickdown, much better now, so much more responsive. Pricey little bugger but money well spent. Really makes a noticeable difference, fingers crossed the mpg will improve from 20 too :ugeek:

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 11:25 #9 

takestock
So I sorry missed this thread, always try an L after the part number, luckily on the balance VIS motor only about £3 difference but if you ever need the power one MKE100102 don't forget to add th L ( will save over £30 :eek:)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 15:19 #10 

JustJames
takestock wrote:So I sorry missed this thread, always try an L after the part number, luckily on the balance VIS motor only about £3 difference but if you ever need the power one MKE100102 don't forget to add th L ( will save over £30 :eek:)

Cheers for that 8-)

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 22:20 #11 

Colin_NI
Welcome to a wonderful resource.

I see your from the south!! We try and organise some events up in the North whenever we can between plenty of us. There is an event in February coming up!

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2320

And these where our last few events organised between mg-rover.org, the75andztclub.co.uk and this wonderful establishment! 8-)

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2001

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=197

I look forward to bumping into you at some stage and i hope you feel welcome here. :thumbsup:
Facebook events page for NI/ROI owners -http://www.facebook.com/#%21/group.php?gid=147988158548390

Posted 27 Dec 2010, 18:07 #12