2.5 ZTT not firing when turning over by DalaxZT

DalaxZT
Hello,

I am having a large amount of difficulty with my car (ZTT 190). Today I replaced the reverse light switch, which solved my previous problem of the reverse lights and parking sensor not coming on. I figured that happening would mean it would fail it's MOT, which was due on the 27th Feb.

Now, the car won't fire when turning over:

- I washed it last week (I think some water may have got where it shouldn't?, perhaps the spark plugs? I checked and the ECU (Engine Control Unit) bay is dry and the plenums are clear. If it is caused by damp, would having the engine running and getting warm dry it out? (I was thinking of bump starting)
- Initially when I tried, all the lights came on when turning the ignition and it was quick to start the ignition process, so it's not the battery
- Now, when I turn the key it just clicks and makes a light thumping noise, as if something is blocking the process, so there is no attempt at turning over.

Unfortunately I am hampered somewhat by having no garage and only basic tools.

Can anyone advise?

Posted 01 Mar 2015, 14:16 #1 

Trebor
Just clicking and not turning over often indicates a failure with the starter motor , the brushes can be replaced without buying a new unit but check the connections first
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 01 Mar 2015, 16:32 #2 

Last edited by Trebor on 02 Mar 2015, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
I would agree with Rob (Trebor) sounds like the starter motor. However it's usually the contacts in the solenoid, rather than brushes.

Example here (for a CDTi not a V6):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0- ... 3a9dce53a6

but others too I'm sure.

EDIT:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0- ... 3a930fb173
For the V6 auto
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0- ... 43bbc93b16
For the V6 manual

Posted 01 Mar 2015, 16:46 #3 

DalaxZT
Many thanks chaps. :) I have purchased that kit. Is there a handy guide somewhere about how to fit them?
Also, assuming this solves the 'clicking' problem, would this also likely fix the turning over without firing issue?

Posted 02 Mar 2015, 14:51 #4 

Trebor
You need to get the car firing in order to solve the next problem !

Can't find a how to for the starter repair but see below which should help,

Re the turning over but not firing there is a common fault on the 190 inside the fuel tank as the filter can separate and the fix is cheap to do and won't take long

There is a how to below with pictures from an alternative Rover forum which hopefully you can view, if not it may be because you are not a subscribed member of said forum

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=58868
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 02 Mar 2015, 20:20 #5 

DalaxZT
Thanks everyone for your help so far.
So after putting in that fuel filter clip and changing the solenoid, there was no change. Still clicked on key turn. I replaced the starter motor today (£30 from a salvage website), and I'm back to turning over but not firing.

When I replaced the reverse light switch, I didn't disconnect the battery (schoolboy). Apparently my dad's neighbour had a similar problem with his Honda Jazz, where he replaced an electrical part, and then the car wouldn't fire. When he tried the second key, it worked. Something to do with the code being reset/corrupted. This did not work for me, however.

So, I'm not sure where to go now. I booked it in for an MOT this Friday, I'm tempted to get breakdown recovery come out, take a look and get it towed there if need be.

Posted 24 Mar 2015, 18:02 #6 

Duncan
It's VERY unlikely to be related to the reverse light switch. There are quite a few things that could be causing the problem, but if the engine is turning over it's not the key / immobiliser stopping it firing. The fuel filter is a common one, but it could also for example be cam or crank sensor. Ideally a diagnostic computer would give you some pointers.

Posted 24 Mar 2015, 18:54 #7 

DalaxZT
So, The nice man from Greenflag came out. I explained what had gone one. He got in the car. It started.
He thinks some damp may have got in somewhere, and it just needed time to work it's way out. It was the best outcome, but still annoying.
So it went in for it's MOT today and failed on completely unrelated issues :thumbsup: (handbrake failed and near side rear brake)

Posted 27 Mar 2015, 18:52 #8 

Duncan
Maybe it was the fuel filter, and the air hadn't bled out? It could be damp, but the KV6 doesn't tend to suffer so much from wet engine ECUs as they are sealed unlike the diesel. If it was damp in the ignition system I'd be surprised if all 6 cylinders completely failed to fire even if badly.

Posted 27 Mar 2015, 19:12 #9