190 tickover speed by Trebor

Trebor
Just bought a 190 which ticks over at approx 900 rpm, is that a bit high or normal ? I would have expected about 750 to be the norm
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 24 Oct 2011, 22:54 #1 

takestock
Bit high Rob, shows on rev counter as about 650 but when hooked up it is actually around 750. check throttle cable tension as a first point after that your into T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) area :).

You just had the inlet manifold done? air leaks from inlet manifold gasket can cause high tickover in fact air leaks from any where on the inlet manifold, vis motors etc.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 06:10 #2 

Mad-Monkey
If it's when you first start the car, the car ticks over slightly higher then reduces as the engine gets warm. Although IIRC mine use to start at around 1100RPM could be wrong though!

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 08:20 #3 

JakeWilson
Glad to hear that you got one sourced Rob, looking forward to seeing it.

Jake

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 09:21 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
As above approx. 1100 when cold, 750 when at normal operating temperature

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 09:23 #5 

Trebor
Thanks for the replies guys, a few things to consider, the car was bought a week ago for swmbo who takes it to work each day so i cannot comment on its cold tickover speed although i will invetsigate at the weekend.
The inlet manifold was changed just before I bought the car and i had the VIS (Variable Intake System) motors repaired at last weeks nano meet when it also went on the T4 and no issues, will try the throttle cable as a first point as mentioned by Dave
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 11:40 #6 

Trebor
swmbo says that the tacho was erratic today whilst driving at a constant speed so not over revving, maybe an electrical issue, i have since been out in the car and seems fine and i cannot recreate the problem.

Also had the engine cover of and shone a torch in the V, coudnt get any decent pictures, but on the left of the V was a small amount of green matter which has solidified and doesnt look recent, in the middle it was totally dry and rust like with what looked like a hole that had corroded over time and on the right of the V was some orange matter which was partly solidified but does look recent
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 18:56 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Rob
Finaly got round to doin the video today after tiling the bathroom well nearly i still have to grout it will upload in a bit Arctic.

Here go Rob (trebor)
http://youtu.be/JrX8Mol6clk

http://youtu.be/TURyQh1erTw

http://youtu.be/tyWuLsofYG0

Posted 27 Oct 2011, 23:41 #8 

Duncan
The V6s can suffer a little from a sticky throttle cable or linkage, especially in cold weather. A little oil on the cable where it enters the outer, and on the linkages works wonders.

Posted 28 Oct 2011, 18:15 #9 

Trebor
Steve you are a star mate thanks a lot, mine is the same as yours cold and only fractionally higher when warm so i will try Duncans tip tomorrow and also check the temp via the obd which i havent done yet
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 28 Oct 2011, 18:55 #10 

Trebor
tested the temp today via the obd, when warm and ticking over gets up to 100 and then comes down a little, thought the heater was warm !

Is this normal or should i be concerned ? Doesnt appear to be any water loss and only other thing to consider is at my post 7 above
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 29 Oct 2011, 08:37 #11 

Trebor
now found out from Dave that the 100 temp is bang on with the 3 sped fan
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 29 Oct 2011, 09:08 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Rob
Yes i was worried about that when i got mine talked to dave and he as that is bang on for these 2.5 190s will see if those tail pipes have arrived today, have the belts on your 190 been done dont know when mine have so need to get them done really Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Oct 2011, 09:38 #13 

Trebor
yes mine were done about 10k ago, was a condition of me buying the car looking for one with the belts change, can you not ask a few questions of the previous owners ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 29 Oct 2011, 09:57 #14 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Rob.
remember he was going to brake it as he had only had it a few weeks himself and the clutch i have sent a letter to the owner before him but got no answer so no history with it , all i know is that it as passed it's mot every time without any advisories Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Oct 2011, 22:42 #15