18" alloys by nick nick

nick nick
Anyone put me in the picture as regarding pros & cons of upgrading my 17" alloys to 18" ie handling ..grip & insurance ..John
LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES....BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE PRICKS

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 08:24 #1 

Zeb
18" tyres are more expensive.Not entirely convinced you'd see much of an improvement in grip / handling? I might be wrong! If you are using OEM wheels that were available as an option then there should be no insurance implications at all.

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 08:43 #2 

nick nick
Hi Zeb i remember changing the tyres on my very first car ( a fiesta )from 155 to 165 and the handling
went from good to amazing the car stuck to the road like a go cart and was wondering by going up to
an 18" rim and a wider tyre (currently 225) it would noticeably improve the handling....Dont get me
wrong i have no intention of throwing my connie around those days are well & truly behind me but i dont
want to go to the expense of new larger wheels just to fill up the archs

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 08:55 #3 

MrDoodles
To be fair it also depends on whether the cars suspension is also set up for them!

On a Track driving at 100%, a Professional driver would be able to tell the difference in grip levels, but on public roads at sensible speeds, I doubt any normal driver would be able to tell the difference other than the slightly firmer ride!

Tyres are more expensive, but most people fit them as they look better!

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 08:59 #4 

Dave
Not sure if it helps, but a while back I went from 195/65R15 to 215/50R17 Starspokes

They look much, much better but I can honestly say, they have made no noticeable difference whatsoever to handling or ride!

Also, no difference to insurance, although I did make sure I declared them to my insurers (Adrian Flux) :mrgreen:

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 09:04 #5 

nick nick
I have 17" serpents on at the moment which could do with a refurb I fancy a set of straights or
something from a MK2

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 09:09 #6 

Mofo
nick nick wrote:I have 17" serpents on at the moment which could do with a refurb I fancy a set of straights or
something from a MK2

Bigger wheels won't help you with kerbs tho John :lol:

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 10:10 #7 

dissy1810
Stick with the serpents John 18s would spoil your car the 18 are the same width 225/45/18 so all you will achieve is a harder ride and more expensive tyres 17s are the best of both for ride and handling

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 10:18 #8 

nick nick
Cheers young man.....How you doin anyway.....Notice i called you young man Steve..LOL

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 10:40 #9 

Last edited by nick nick on 24 Jun 2012, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

nick nick
Mofo wrote:
nick nick wrote:I have 17" serpents on at the moment which could do with a refurb I fancy a set of straights or
something from a MK2

Bigger wheels won't help you with kerbs tho John :lol:

Hiya Chris.....If the council thought about where they put their Kerbs there wouldnt be
a problem.....Beside the edge of the road....I ask you...LOL

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 10:43 #10 

MrDoodles
something from a MK2

To be fair 2nd hand Serpents seem to very popular, so you may be able to buy a set of 18's for less than you sell them for!

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 10:50 #11 

nick nick
Oh i have no intention of selling the serpents Mick i will keep them & get them refurbed and just put the on for meets

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 10:54 #12 

dissy1810
nick nick wrote:Cheers young man.....How you doin anyway.....Notice i called you young man Steve..LOL

I'm doing well old man;) will we still see you at the metro meet ? If so I look forward to seeing you

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 11:00 #13